DOWN SYNDROME ASSOCIATION OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA (DSANV)
POSITION: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: DSANV Board of Directors Executive Team
LOCATION: DSANV Office – Oakton, VA
Mission: The mission of this organization shall be to ensure all individuals with Down syndrome and their families receive the support necessary to participate in, contribute to and achieve fulfillment of life in their community.
Work Schedule: Standard office hours (typically 35 hours) with some night and weekends when needed for programming or special events.
Supervises: Staff members, which currently consists of 2 part-time employees, and volunteers.
Travel Required: Local travel will be required for programming and special events. Out-of-town travel up to 2 times annually to attend conferences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for advancing the mission of DSANV as well as managing operations and protecting the organizations financial assets while ensuring compliance with Board directives.
Development and Marketing:
- Oversees the development and implementation of the organization’s strategic long range and annual plans, continually assessing and making sound recommendations for improvement, including measurable goals that track the organization’s progress
- Raises the profile of DSANV and oversees communications with the organization’s audiences as the spokesperson for DSANV, including newsletters, web site content, social media, written materials, and annual reports
- Continues to develop and execute successful fund development strategies, working closely with the Board to maintain and increase current levels of giving while identifying and securing new funding sources by:
1) Identifying new prospective corporate, foundation, and government sources of funding and writing and submitting proposals accordingly
2) Implementing the donor recognition and donor stewardship activities
3) Managing major fundraising events such as the annual Buddy Walk and other new large events
-Manages grant outreach efforts (government, foundation, corporate) by researching and identifying grant possibilities, writing and/or editing grant proposals
-Effectively advocates for legislation, education and training and general awareness of the Down Syndrome Association of Northern Virginia.
Program Development and Administration:
- Works with the Board of Directors to develop and execute a long-range strategy to achieve DSANV’s mission by overseeing and strengthening DSANV’s programs and services
- Continually reviews effectiveness and efficiency of existing programs, both lifestyle and education, and recommends changes in programming to the Board.
Budget and Finance:
- Ensures DSANV applies sound financial and administrative practice through effective fiscal management so that the organization grows in a fiscally prudent fashion
- Works with the Treasurer and the Board in preparing a budget and monitoring financial performance against budget guidelines each year
- Works with DSANV’s Treasurer to ensure that appropriate financial information is maintained, timely reports are made, and the Board and appropriate committees are well-informed about financial matters.
- Works to solicit volunteers and maintains strong relationships in order to assist with DSANV programming, events, and fundraising.
- Hires and maintains adequate staff, staying within budget and in line with long range and annual plans
- Continuously assesses staff performance vs. expectations and provides necessary feedback and development, including annual reviews
-Minimum five years’ experience in business operations, non-profit, budgeting, fund raising, conference/event planning, negotiations, and staff/volunteer leadership
-Minimum of three years of executive or management experience required
-Strong planning and project management skills
-Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
-Time requirements: evening and weekend time is required for this position with some travel throughout the year
-Experience working with individuals with special needs and/or working within the disability advocacy community strongly preferred
About Down Syndrome Association of Northern Virginia
DSANV was originally founded as MOMS in 1972. In the early 80s, the name was changed to Parents of Down Syndrome (PODS). In 2004, we became the Down Syndrome Association of Northern Virginia (DSANV). Since then, we have grown to more than 900 members across Northern Virginia and DSANV has become a trusted resource for individuals, families, friends, educators, employers, legislators, and the medical community. Our organization engages a strong board of directors and a broad base of volunteer and financial support in achieving our mission to ensure that all individuals with Down syndrome and their families receive the support necessary to participate in, contribute to and achieve fulfillment of life in their community.
DSANV has a history of success in:
-Helping families adjust to the birth of a child with Down syndrome;
-Providing individuals with Down syndrome and their families with educational, financial, medical, legal and social support and resources;
-Providing social and educational events for individuals with Down syndrome and their families to meet, interact and learn;
-Increasing community awareness of the capabilities and contributions of individuals with... Down syndrome;
-Providing financial support to families in need with camp scholarships, conference scholarships and donations of durable medical equipment;
-Partnering with local, national, and international organizations that provide services to individuals with Down syndrome.
Copyright 2017 Colorado Society of Association Executives. This site content may not be copied, reproduced, or redistributed without the prior written permission of the Colorado Society of Association Executives.