Position Overview: The senior director, government relations is responsible for leading aspects of the American Gaming Association's (AGA) engagement on state policy discussions. This includes actively monitoring all legislative activity that may impact the casino gaming industry, working under the guidance of the vice president of government affairs to identify areas where the association can engage in support of favorable state policies, and leveraging AGA research to accurately inform casino expansion discussions. The senior director will provide timely, accurate information regarding state legislative developments to both AGA staff as well as key external stakeholders, such as member company representatives, regulators, and third-party allies, among others. He/she will work collaboratively with other members of the public affairs team on AGA efforts to build and maintain relationships with key state legislators and U.S. gaming regulators to develop and implement statutory and regulatory change that fosters growth within the industry. As needed, the senior director will also leverage his/her expertise and relationships to help support AGA’s federal government affairs goals – including direct lobbying on Capitol Hill. The senior director reports directly to the vice president, government relations.
Key areas of responsibility:
• Keep apprised of all state policy trends that impact the gaming industry and actively disseminate important updates to internal and external stakeholders.
• Work closely with VP of strategic communications to develop and execute communications plans that promote informed discussions about state casino gaming expansion.
• Work with senior public affairs team on new and creative ideas for research projects that will help drive positive legislative and regulatory outcomes in the states.
• Work in partnership with communications staff to ensure industry data, statistics and research are leveraged to effectively drive favorable perceptions of the gaming industry among state policymakers and regulators.
• Assist in relationship building with national state and regulatory associations in support of AGA’s public policy objectives.
• Assist in managing any consultants and vendors providing state legislative and/or regulatory services to the association.
• Work in partnership and manage relationships, where applicable, with state gaming associations.
• Work with other members of the Public Affairs team to manage, engage and drive AGA’s Next Generation Gaming Task Force to develop regulatory recommendations that promote growth, innovation and modernization of U.S. gaming regulations.
• Support vice president in helping drive consensus among AGA’s members on state gaming policy and develop tactical plans to achieve results.
Experience & Education:
• Minimum 7 years of professional experience with a history of progressive achievement and advancement.
• Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in the fields of political science, public policy or communications.
• An advanced degree, experience in the commercial casino industry, trade associations or similar advocacy organizations is a plus.
• Track record of high integrity, good judgment, confidentiality, and discretion.
• Excellent research, writing, editing, proofreading, presentation and interpersonal skills, with strong attention to detail.
• Strong data and analytical skills including the ability to present complex data in terms non-specialized audiences can understand.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills around consensus building and relationship maintenance.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to think creatively and strategically.
• Team player who thrives in a high-energy, multifaceted and collaborative work environment.
• Ability to work independently to problem solve and self-starter, takes initiative.
• Effortlessly adjust to changes in priorities, and balance short-term deliverables with long- term strategic goals while producing a high-caliber work product.
• Superior project management, organization skills and attention to detail required.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
Please e-mail resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please share salary requirements and reference job number 5610-A. Competitive salary commensurate with experience; health, dental, vision, 401(k), other benefits provided.
Internal Number: 5610-A
About American Gaming Association
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the American Gaming Association (AGA) is the premier national trade group representing the $261 billion U.S. casino gaming industry, which supports 1.8 million jobs nationwide. It is the mission of the AGA to be the single most effective champion of the industry, relentlessly protecting against harmful and often misinformed public policies, paving a path for growth, innovation and reinvestment.
Copyright 2019 Colorado Society of Association Executives. This site content may not be copied, reproduced, or redistributed without the prior written permission of the Colorado Society of Association Executives.