NTCA – The Rural Broadband Association is looking for a Public Relations Manager to join our Communications department. This position will report to the VP of Strategic Communications with some oversight by the VP of Policy and will play an integral role in serving as the point person for public and media relations and advocacy communication initiatives. As our PR Manager, you will have the opportunity to interface with members, media, the telecommunications industry, allied third-party organizations as well as the public, provide effective communications of NTCA’s policy positions to increase the visibility of the association and enhance its stature, and write for a variety of communications products, as well as for press releases, member alerts, talking points, and social media. You will also have the ability to plan and execute PR communication initiatives, including branding and issue advocacy campaigns.
What will you do?
1) Oversee association media relations, including directly interfacing with reporters, arranging staff and member interviews, writing press releases, developing a contact database for trade and national media, monitoring press coverage, organizing press events and maintaining strong relationships with trade publications.
2) Assist Digital Communications Manager in the production of advocacy news in weekly and quarterly publications. Research and write commentaries, talking points, and policy documents for association CEO, board chairman, and senior staff in a manner consistent with the association’s positions and objectives. Provide writing support for other communications products.
3) Support through effective communication and outreach NTCA efforts to partner with and find common agendas with commercial, agricultural and public interests engaged in serving rural communities such as rural education, health care, farm bureaus, public safety, and economic development entities. Will look for opportunities to benefit development and deployment of rural broadband and other issues of importance to our members.
4) Write and distribute communications and association materials for distribution to members, ensuring consistency with and support of NTCA goals, objectives, and policy positions by developing knowledge of industry issues and relationships with internal staff experts. Make presentations at NTCA meetings, statewide gatherings, and other forums as necessary.
5) Plan communications initiatives with guidance and input from the VP of strategic communications. Work independently to implement and execute plan initiatives; monitor all communications activities to ensure effectiveness and cohesiveness and clarity with association objectives. Provide direct communications support to the Foundation for Rural Service and Smart Rural Community programs.
6) Oversee news and public affairs aspects of NTCA Web site, including federal filings and rural broadband facts, and advocacy issues and ensure content is kept current.
7) Oversee multimedia and social media communications activities.
8) Perform other special projects or duties, as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following position requirements:
Strong writing skills; understanding and working knowledge of the press and other media; speech writing; and other communications strategies; background in public policy issues.
Understanding and working knowledge of telecommunications industry and rural community and development issues. Experience in telecommunications industry strongly preferred.
Position requires excellent interpersonal and oral & written communication skills; ability to work independently and under pressure; and developed leadership, planning and public speaking skills.
Practical knowledge, skills & abilities usually acquired through an undergraduate degree in Public Relations, Journalism or Communications and a minimum of 5-7 years of related work experience.
Why work for us?
NTCA offers competitive salary and excellent benefits including, health and wellness plans, metro/parking subsidy, flexible work schedules, multiple retirement programs, and many more. We are located in a modern office within walking distance of the Ballston Metro Station.
NTCA is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.
About NTCA - THE RURAL BROADBAND ASSOCIATION
NTCA–The Rural Broadband Association is the premier association representing nearly 900 independent, community-based telecommunications companies that are leading innovation in rural and small-town America. NTCA advocates on behalf of its members in the legislative and regulatory arenas, and it provides training and development; publications and industry events; and an array of employee benefit programs. In an era of exploding technology, deregulation and marketplace competition, NTCA’s members are leading the IP evolution for rural consumers, delivering technologies that make rural communities vibrant places in which to live and do business. Because of their efforts, rural America is fertile ground for innovation in economic development and commerce, education, health care, government services, security and smart energy use.
Copyright 2019 Colorado Society of Association Executives. This site content may not be copied, reproduced, or redistributed without the prior written permission of the Colorado Society of Association Executives.