Since 1881, the Ohio Funeral Directors Association (OFDA) has provided innovative programs, leadership, and excellent service to its membership. As one of the largest state associations for funeral directors in the nation, OFDA has become a conduit for promoting the funeral profession and leading the field in education standards. More than 900 Ohio funeral homes are part of the OFDA family, benefiting from a host of special services including education and training, professional networking and advocacy. The current association is financially and fundamentally strong. OFDA has an experienced staff that works in a collaborative culture that provides and values flexibility and work life balance.
OFDA is looking for an Executive Director to lead one of the strongest professional funeral associations in the country. The current Director is retiring in 2022 but will asist with the transition of the new Director upon hire. This position manages a staff of five and oversees all functions of the association as outlined below.
Under the general direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director assists the Board of Directors in formulating the organization’s mission, goals, objectives and related policies and is responsible for their implementation. The Executive Director has general and active management of the business of the association in accordance with the adopted policies, direction and instruction of the Board of Directors, Executive Committee or the duly authorized representative of either.
Essential Functions of the Position
· Responsible for leading OFDA in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission.
· Responsible to maintain strong and healthy relationships with the Board. This includes communicating effectively, in addition to providing timely and accurate information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Financial Performance and Viability:
· Responsible for the fiscal integrity and management of OFDA, that includes transparent submissions to the Board of a proposed annual budget and financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
· Responsible for proactively identifying other resources necessary to support OFDA’s mission and improve the overall financial strength of the organization.
Organization Mission and Strategy:
· Responsible for the development and implementation of OFDA’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
· Serves as a legislative liaison of the association. Collaborates closely with OFDA governmental affairs consultants and strives to build rapport with legislators, and others to promote OFDA’s legislative initiatives to strengthen alliances in political network.
· Serves as primary spokesperson to OFDA’s constituents, the media and the general public.
· Responsible for strategic planning implementation to ensure that OFDA can successfully fulfill its mission.
· Responsible for the integrity of OFDA’s image by being active and visible in the membership community and by working closely with other professional and private organizations.
· Identifies and utilizes outside consultants as needed for professional assistance.
· Responsible for the effective administration of OFDA operations.
· Responsible for the hiring retention of qualified and high performing staff. Directs and manages all training, assigning tasks, evaluating work performance and terminations.
· Responsible for execution of all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
· Responsible for prudent oversight and maintenance of OFDA headquarter facility.
· A bachelor’s degree or commensurate college experience required.
· Five or more year’s senior nonprofit association leadership experience or related commensurate experience in outside industry.
· CAE or comparable credentialing/certification encouraged.
· Transparent, authentic, collaborative, and flexible leadership style is required.
· Hands-on, attention to detail budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
· Visionary leadership and foresight; creative thinker who is success oriented and self-starter.
· Embraces the cultivation of a diverse and inclusive membership.
· Strong and agile organizational skill set, ability to meet deadlines and multi-task in a small staff environment. Ability to use new technology to improve personal efficiency is highly valued.
· Possess analytical and objective approach to problem-solving.
· Collaborative nature, fostering strong relationships to accomplish goals and objectives.
· Ability to interact in an approachable way with existing and new members to increase overall member involvement and engagement.
· Charismatic leader possessing strong written and oral communications skills, with the ability to deliver clear and effective messages to all stakeholders.
· Must possess strong presentation skills which are perceived as organized, authentic, and relatable to the interests of the membership
· Demonstrated management skills necessary to lead staff, foster a healthy organizational culture, which contribute to the overall success of the OFDA.
· Ability to delegate effectively, considering the full range of responsibilities of the position, skills and abilities of the staff.
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
· General office environment.
· Travel both within and outside of the State of Ohio. Overnight stays required.
· Occasional evening and weekend meetings.
Columbus is the capital and largest city in the state of Ohio. It is the 15th largest city in the United States. Forbes gave Columbus an A rating as one of the top cities for business in the U.S. and included the city on its list of “Best Places for Business and Careers”. The area is headquarters to five Fortune 500 corporations: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, Cardinal Health, American Electric Power, L Brands and Big Lots. Columbus is also home to The Ohio State University and has the second-highest concentration of college students in the nation with 62 college and university campuses and educates more than 140,000 students annually. Columbus has been ranked as one of Business Week’s “50 Best Cities in America” and was ranked a top 10 city by Relocate America.
PMG was founded in 2001 by Phil Georgenson after more than 25 years of human resources leadership and executive recruiting experience. Phil still serves as PMG’s President and Managing Partner. Today, PMG is one of the premier executive recruiting firms in the country serving clients all over the country on local and national searches. We are a member of The Pinnacle Society distinguishing us as one of the top 75 recruiters in North America. We are also a top producing firm in several leading national recruiting consortiums including Top Echelon and the National Insurance Recruiters Association (NIRA.)
Phil Georgenson, CPCU
9923 Morris Drive, Suite 124
Dublin, Ohio 43017
Copyright 2019 Colorado Society of Association Executives. This site content may not be copied, reproduced, or redistributed without the prior written permission of the Colorado Society of Association Executives.