About the Mathematical Association of America (MAA):
The Mathematical Association of America is the world’s largest community of mathematicians, students, and enthusiasts. Our mission is to advance the understanding of mathematics and its impact on our world. Our members include university, college, and high school teachers; graduate and undergraduate students; pure and applied mathematicians; computer scientists; statisticians; STEM professionals, and many others in academia, government, business, and industry. We welcome all who are interested in the mathematical sciences.
As the Specialist of Philanthropic Operations, you'll be pivotal in boosting MAA's funding sustainability and growth. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, you'll collaborate closely with the Manager of Individual Giving to establish a vital bridge for corporate and foundation partnerships, ensuring a comprehensive fundraising approach. Your role covers corporate giving oversight, including renewals and sponsorships, while managing a portfolio exceeding $2.5M annually. You'll also contribute to upholding donor database accuracy, guiding strategic decisions. With strong communication and meticulous attention to detail, you'll excel in supporting the Individual Giving Manager, fostering donor relationships, and driving philanthropic success.
You will have the exciting opportunity to:
- Collaborate closely with Senior Director of Development to enhance a portfolio of corporate and foundation partners ($2.5M pipeline), strategically fostering relationships to secure annual support, sponsorships, and philanthropic contributions.
- Work in partnership with the Senior Director of Development to develop and implement corporate fundraising campaigns and appeals, contributing to the achievement of organizational objectives.
- Collaborate closely with the Development Manager of Individual Giving to create and execute comprehensive strategies for donor engagement and retention.
- Maintain a prospect pipeline of potential corporate partners and foundations, conducting research to identify alignment with our mission and values.
- Lead the drafting, editing, and refinement of compelling proposals for funding opportunities exceeding $25,000, aligning with the organization's mission and values.
- Manage data integrity in a newly established database by conducting thorough cleanup, validation, regular data hygiene procedures, including deduplication and standardization, and the development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to guide data management processes and ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Drive the expansion and diversification of MAA's corporate donor base, contributing to the organization-wide strategy for revenue generation and sustainability.
-Implement effective moves management techniques to engage current donors and enhance their annual contributions.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Individual Giving to analyze fundraising reports and track progress towards goals, ensuring timely, and accurate reporting to senior leadership.
- Activating, organizing and coordinating key events for corporate partners, fostering meaningful connections, and engagement opportunities.
- Work closely with the Manager of Individual Giving to coordinate comprehensive philanthropic initiatives that align with MAA's mission and goals.
Qualifications & Requirements
To excel in this role, you will need:
- A Bachelor's degree and a solid background (3-5 years) in fundraising, philanthropy, corporate partnerships, or related fields.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully helping secure 5 and 6-figure contributions and sponsorships from corporations and/or foundations.
- Proven track record of managing, stewarding, and expanding corporate and foundation partnerships, including the development of sponsorship strategies and benefits.
- Excellent organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to manage multiple tasks while setting priorities effectively.
- Strong project management skills, enabling you to drive initiatives to successful completion.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to engage and collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel. Familiarity with donor databases (Fonteva/Salesforce) and design software is advantageous.
- A positive and proactive attitude, with the ability to take initiative and work both independently and as part of a team.
Join our team and make a lasting impact through your passion for mathematics and your commitment to advancing the understanding and impact of this critical field. As the Specialist of Philanthropic Operations, you will contribute significantly to the growth and sustainability of the Mathematical Association of America. Apply today to embark on an enriching journey with us!
Office & Schedule
- General office environment/hybrid work schedule
- Occasional weekend/evening work to attend meetings and conferences
- Travel approximately 25% for conferences and partner meetings
The Mathematical Association of America is the world’s largest community of mathematicians, students, and enthusiasts. We further the understanding of our world through mathematics because mathematics drives society and shapes our lives. The mission of the MAA is to advance the understanding of mathematics and its impact on our world. Our members include university, college, and high school educators and teachers; graduate and undergraduate students; pure and applied mathematicians; computer scientists; statisticians; STEM professionals, and many others in academia, government, business, and industry. We welcome all who are interested in the mathematical sciences.