IEEE is the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community to innovate for a better tomorrow through highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities. IEEE is the trusted “voice” for engineering, computing, and technology information around the globe. As one of IEEE’s largest societies, IEEE Computer Society has been publishing scholarly magazines and journals in a variety of computing and engineering areas for more than 75 years. Our periodicals team supports and manages more than two dozen peer-reviewed magazines and journals as part of the Society’s mission to bring together computer science and engineering leaders at every phase of their career and to shape and guide the future of the computing field.
Play a leading role in the support of project management, operations analysis, and assistance with portfolio management for some of IEEE Computer Society’s magazines and journals and their associated editorial boards and volunteer communities. This will include some writing, editing, coordination, and selection of Society-generated content items for Computer magazine and ComputingEdge.
You will also have responsibility for the operations support of select periodicals and/or cosponsored publications that involves facilitating Periodicals Review and Advisory Committee (PRAC) reviews, Editor in Chief (EIC) searches and reappointments, and handling of Steering Committee composition and recordkeeping for cosponsored publications.
Additional responsibilities include governance support for editorial boards or committees; assistance with the creation and updating of publication resource webpages; communicating with authors and stakeholders regarding content development and submission; and additional special projects as needed.
* Bachelor’s degree in English or relevant technical field or equivalent experience
* 4 – 7 years’ editorial and project management experience, preferably in STEM content areas, association management, scholarly publishing, print or web production or related field
* Publishing or communications experience that includes academic or scholarly publishing
* Experience in Web page design and navigation as well as with online or digital production and design
* Working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress, ScholarOne, listserv and Google apps
* Excellent language and editing skills
* Highly organized with the ability to document processes and procedures
* Strong interpersonal skills that include an ability to work diplomatically and tactfully with volunteers, staff, volunteer leadership, authors, and vendors
* Proficiency in the use of content management systems and ability to learn computer systems associated with editorial and Web activities
* Demonstrated aptitude with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, email and database computer programs
* Knowledge of the computing, engineering, and software engineering fields/industries, along with related terminology
* Ability to work in a team environment under tight deadlines
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under [Category I—Office Position].
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Visit www.ieee.org to view details about open positions in one of our four offices: Los Alamitos, CA; New York City; Piscataway, NJ; & Washington, DC.
The IEEE is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.
The IEEE (Eye-triple-E) is a non-profit, technical professional association of more than 377,000 individual members in 150 countries. The full name is the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., although the organization is most popularly known and referred
to by the letters I-E-E-E