Do you enjoy working with business professionals, C-suite executives, and company owners? Are you detail-oriented with high-level skills in adult education, professional development, and event planning? Are you looking to be part of an innovative, enthusiastic team committed to growing private companies’ value and worth in the marketplace while creating high-performing board members for effective governance roles?
If so, we’d like to hear from you!
The Private Directors Association® (PDA) is the premier professional nonprofit organization for private company governance. Our purpose is to enable and enhance the value, growth, and resilience of privately held companies through effective governance. Created in 2014, we serve more than 3,300 members, with 20+ Chapters located throughout the United States.
PDA is growing and is seeking to hire a full-time Education & National Events Manager to join our team to create and update our educational programming, manage our annual educational conference & expo and other events, and perform other related duties. We are a small team operating in a fully remote environment, so flexibility, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, and a desire to work together in an inclusive and supportive manner are essential to our success.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Collaborate with subject matter experts, committees, course chairs, and other stakeholders to develop innovative learning solutions to create and oversee the delivery of PDA educational products and services.
• Develop procedures and policies to accomplish goals that expand learning opportunities and increase accessibility for PDA Governance Academy.
• Serve as staff liaison for PDA Education Committee and other committees/task forces, as requested.
· Manage educational projects, including the development and oversight of the budget, planning, execution, and evaluation of PDA’s courses, credentialing programs, and other training materials.
· Oversee mentoring sessions for Private Directors Governance Certificate Program and renewal program.
• Provide guidance during design, development, and pilot phases of projects along with technical expertise to ensure successful program content, designs, and materials.
• Write course descriptions for the website and technology platforms in partnership with subject matter experts and marketing team.
• Review and evaluate existing education, credentialing, and training products to ensure that each offering is high-quality, content is current and appropriate for targeted audiences, and reflects PDA’s brand; make recommendations for enhancements.
• Analyze participation and performance data to continuously optimize each training product line and member experience, including researching industry trends and sourcing innovative solutions that contribute to the growth and scalability of PDA’s education, credentialing, and training business lines.
National Events Elements
· Act as the lead Meeting Planner, working with the PDA Team, volunteers, partners, and other stakeholders to conceptualize, plan and execute an Annual Educational Conference & Expo, as well as virtual events with a national audience. Develop strategies, procedures, and policies to accomplish goals.
· Serve as staff liaison for the Conference Committee and other committees/task forces, as requested.
· Research, conduct site visits (as needed), and work with approved third-party, in alignment with PDA policies and budget, to source locations, facilities, hotels, and special event venues that meet specifications and objectives to achieve desired outcomes. Handle site and venue contract negotiations, either in-house or with approved third-party, including re-negotiating contracts as needs change and adjusting room blocks, mitigating risk, and reducing costs where possible. Prepare contracts for President & CEO signature.
· Work with IT and housing bureau/hotel/vendor, to plan, finalize and manage registration and housing details.
· Oversee programming and activities, educational sessions, and speaker/presenter/moderator logistics.
· Manage meeting logistics, including F&B, AV, technology, etc., and assign staff and volunteers on-site duties/areas of responsibility.
· Work with staff (or outsourced third-party), assuring sponsorships and exhibit space meets budgeted expectations and assist with decisions related to exhibit negotiations.
· Prepare event budgets and monitor expenditures. Work with CFO to review reports to reconcile and assure accuracy.
· Complete post-event tasks including reconciliation of expenses; resolving billing disputes; conducting evaluations, and reporting on meeting results; debrief with staff, volunteers, and partners to determine ways to improve the experience.
· Bachelor's or Master's degree in education, adult learning, instructional design, hospitality, or related field strongly preferred.
· Minimum three years’ work experience in education, professional development, or instructional design, and event planning, preferably with an association or nonprofit organization.
· Demonstrable experience in education, managing multiple projects, working with subject matter experts, adhering to timelines and budgets. Developing online learning programs a plus.
· Knowledge and understanding of contemporary adult learning principles required. Experience working with instructional design methodologies and authoring design tools, such as Articulate 360 or Adobe Captivate, is desirable.
· Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, virtual collaboration tools, and learning management systems.
· Hands-on experience using membership data management, customer relationship, and event management software.
· Understanding of legal regulations and permits required for events.
Skills & Abilities:
· Highly organized, with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
· Reliable and dependable, with the ability to work efficiently with a high level of autonomy and meet deadlines.
· Comfortable understanding budgets and working with numbers.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Ability to collaborate with others to achieve meaningful outcomes.
· Possesses top-notch member service-oriented skills.
· Demonstrates a positive attitude and professionalism serving private companies, executives, and other business professionals.
· Ability to work occasional evenings hosting virtual events.
· Ability to travel on a limited basis, including serving as the lead on-site at Conference and other events, as required.
To Apply: Send your resume and cover letter, including your salary expectations and start availability, to: Careers@privatedirectors.org. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
PDA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. This includes all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, benefits, social and recreational programs, and discipline. PDA provides reasonable accommodation to qualified employees who have protected disabilities to the extent required by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances where a particular employee works.
Our mission is to connect, educate, and advocate for effective board
governance. We bring business owners, CEOs, board members and aspiring board members together to exchange
insights on why and how to effectively use boards of directors and advisory boards. PDA provides experience-based
educational content specifically designed for private company leaders and current and aspiring board members, and we
advocate for the widespread use of effective advisory boards and fiduciary boards and for excellence in the
boardroom—from board formation to ongoing governance best practices. Our vision is to be the premier professional
organization for private company governance, with our focus on serving the unique governance needs of private
companies throughout the lifecycle of their businesses. Good governance drives private company growth, which helps
build strong communities and economies.